Tuesday 19 October 2010

"Teen Cribs"

In order to decide what type of documentary to do, Tilly and I thought it would be a good idea to make a mini documentary so we could get a feel for the style in which it would need to be filmed, and to figure out whether or not we liked it. After all, there is loads of different types of documentaries to choose from. Our inspiration for this was 'Teen Cribs'. It is observational and also expository, in which the camera follows the person showing the audience around their house and talking to the camera as though it was a person. MTV have a very modern approach to their series as they edit and film it in a funky way. They zoom in and out, rewind and fast forward and tilt the camera to different angles, which appeals to a teenage audience. I really liked filming and editing our version of Teen Cribs because it was funny and not something we had to think hard about because we watch the programme ourselves so we knew what sort of things to include.
I filmed and edited the clips, and Tilly Guess acted it in. I tried to make it seem upbeat and modern by putting a hip-hop song in the background, which I faded to 10% during clips where Tilly spoke, and leaving it normal (100%) volume during the other times. I set one of the clips towards the start to rewind because I have seen this effect used in the real programme and I really like it. I did this by selecting the bit when she jumped onto the bed, then copying and pasting it after the first clip of it. I then double clicked it and 'Converted the clip', which then gave me the option to have it in 'Reverse'. While she is in her bathroom, after watching it back I felt as though it went on a little too long. So to speed things up, I made the time she took to walk from her toilet to her shower, and her shower to her sink faster. I used the same technique I used to rewind the clips, in which i copied and pasted the clips I wanted sped up, then converted the clip and increased the speed. I also repeated some clips to emphasise how spoilt the girl is, as this is really what comes across during our short test documentary. I copied and pasted the clip where she says 'Dolce and Gabbana' and cut it to those exact words so she repeated it 3 times. When I showed some friends the clips this made them laugh which is the reaction I wanted to achieve.


No comments:

Post a Comment